Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Chapters 21-25 VOCAB

Gingerly: with great caution or care

  • "Gingerly, I walked up the drive way where the tufts of weed now grew between the sun-faded bricks." p. 261
  • I walked up and down the path gingerly, looking for the earring I lost.
  • Synonyms: cautious, hesitant
  • Antonyms: rash, careless
Succulent: rich in desirable qualities
  • "The kabob was as succulent and delicious as I remembered." p. 265
  • The cake looked much more succulent than the brussel sprouts.
  • Synonyms: luscious, tasty, yummy
  • Antonyms: unappetizing, dry
Morbidly: affected by, caused by, or characteristic of disease
  • "I found it morbidly fascinating that he hadn't changed clothes after the executions earlier that day." p. 275
  • The little girl was morbidly affected by her mother's addiction of smoking cigarettes.
  • Synonyms: gruesomely, insanely
  • Antonyms: -
Surreal: characteristics of a dream
  • "The moment felt  surreal- no, not surreal, absurd- it had knocked the breath out of me, brought the world around me to a standstill." p. 281
  • The first time a mother sees her child is so surreal, a moment to remember forever. 
  • Synonyms: hypnagogic
  • Antonyms: real
Epiphany: moment of insight
  • "But one day I had an epiphany." p. 281
  •  After a long day of trying to figure things out in my life, I had an epiphany.
  • Synonyms: realization, inspiration
  • Antonyms: confusion, secret
Impunity: exemption from punishment
  • "....-Amir, the socially legitimate half, the half that represented the riches that he had inherited and the sin-with-inpunity privileges that came with them." p. 301
  • The very well behaved student was in impunity while the teacher wrote others up for detention.
  • Synonyms: exemption, exception
  • Antonyms: veto, denial
Remorse: deep and painful regret for wrongdoing
  • "And this is what I want you to understand, that good, real good, was born out of your father's remorse." 
  • I felt remorse after talking bad about one of my friends.
  • Synonyms: pity, shame, 
  • Antonyms: happiness, joy
Shrewd: sharp in practical manners
  • "'My boys are young, but they are very shrewd.'" p. 304
  • Jules is a very shrewd in manners when it comes to eating dinner with her boyfriend's family.
  • Synonyms: wise, slick, 
  • Antonyms: slow, stupid, dull
Pondered: to consider something deeply
  • "I stole looks at him while he pondered his cards." p. 306
  • I held my phone in my hand as I pondered the reply I would send to my mother.
  • Synonyms: debate, consider, weigh
  • Antonyms: ignore, disregard

Paunchy: having a large potbelly
  • "The manager, a paunchy man with sweat patches under his arms, kept flashing smiles and telling me that no one in the bank had touched his money." p. 308
  • I remember my grandfather as the paunchy man he was; he always had his arms rested on his stomach.
  • Synonyms: plump, potbellied
  • Antonyms: thin, little, lean

Reproachful: insulting
  • "...them under Fayyaz's reproachful glare." p. 316
  • The players gave the coach a reproachful glare after hearing they had to keep running.
  • Synonyms: rude, offensive
  • Antonyms: respectful, complimentary

Obligatory: required as a matter of obligation
  • "I heard the officer, his voice tired and uninterested, asking his obligatory questions."
  • Teachers give obligatory tests given to them by the state, for example the PSATs.
  • Synonyms: mandatory, unavoidable
  • Antonyms: optional, unnecessary

Irrevocably: not to be revoked or recalled
  • "What had happened in that room with Assef had irrevocably bound us." p. 320
  • The aftershock of the accident will remain irrevocably in my memory forever.
  • Synonyms: definitely, permanently
  • Antonyms: doubtfully, questionably

Squalid: foul and repulsive
  • "I had found the boy in squalid conditions, wasting away in an orphanage."
  • The squalid weather conditions made me want to stay inside and watch netflix.
  • Synonyms: filthy, muddy, poor
  • Antonyms: clean, clear, good

Fabricated: to make by art
  • "'Let's assume the story you gave me is true, though I'd bet my pension a good deal of it is either fabricated or omitted." p. 330
  • The couple had their home fabricated to make it easier for the builders.
  • Synonyms: brainstorm, put together
  • Antonyms: demolish, destroy

Reputable: held in good repute
  • "'I'm saying that if you want to help, send money to a reputable relief organization.'" p. 331
  • I want to stay fairly reputable throughout my years in high school.
  • Synonyms: prominent, trustworthy, well-known
  • Antonyms: common, notorious, unknown

Turmoil: a state of great commotion
  • "...and I brought Hassan's son from Afghanistan to America, lifting him from the certainty of turmoil and dropping him in a turmoil of uncertainty." p. 356
  • The man was in a state of turmoil, he finalized his divorce and his father passed away, all in a weeks time.
  • Synonyms: disorder, distress
  • Antonyms: calm, peaceful

Profusely: given freely and in large amount
  • "...and if you do, you will be scorned and made to apologize profusely for having committed the sin of Spoiling the End." p. 357
  • The heavy man sweat profusely as he ran a lap around the track.
  • Synonyms: lavishly, abundantly
  • Antonyms:-

No comments:

Post a Comment